NORTH X NORTH FESTIVAL
The best of the Arctic fests returns to the Anchorage Museum April 26-29, 2018
The second annual North by North (NxN) Festival is for the North, organized by Northerners with a collective vision of sustainability, livability and wellbeing, and creativity for the North.
NxN captures the spirit of Alaska and Arctic by meeting local and circumpolar challenges and opportunities with Northern innovation and resilience. It offers participants the opportunity to build on a rich history while envisioning a promising future. Innovators from across Alaska, the U.S. and the Arctic gather to collaborate celebrate the North through knowledge, design, film, music, food, literature, art, governance and business.
Come curious. Leave inspired.
Many NxN discussions focus on 17 Sustainable Development Goals set by the United Nations. They cover a broad range of social and economic development issues, including poverty, hunger, health, education, climate change, gender equality, water, sanitation, energy, environment and social justice.
Through compelling conversations and inspired thinkers, we look for ways to Alaskan-ize, Indigenize, and otherwise adapt these goals to Northern and Arctic places, people and environments.
The program includes:
- TED-style presentations – solution and best practice sharing from across the Arctic
- Circumpolar North Film Festival – films from around the Arctic, focused on innovation and resilience
- Arctic Street Foods
- Resident DJs and Arctic Dance Party
- Innovation Teams – four teams formed to address eight challenges; co-creation of solutions and opportunities
- “Fishbowl” work sessions – solution creation for innovation challenges
- Youth Innovation Challenge – rapid prototyping, pitching and awards
- Curated Conversations – focused on features of sustainable development
- Sustainable Arctic Award reception – presented for lifetime achievement
Get started early with special pre-festival programming
Register now for one or both sessions:
- Resilience Summit, organized and hosted by Alaska Pacific University, Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium, Municipality of Anchorage, The Nature Conservancy, Alaska Center, Institute of the North and Anchorage Museum on Wednesday, April 25, and
- Anchorage Arctic Research Day, organized by the U.S. Arctic Research Consortium, the University of Alaska Anchorage, the Anchorage Museum and the Institute of the North.
Tickets available at https://nxnfestival.com/nxn-festival-registration. Some activities are included with Anchorage Museum admission.
The North by North Festival is organized by the Institute of the North and the Anchorage Museum. Sponsors include Atwood Foundation, Institute of the North, Anchorage Museum, Guggenheim, Alaska Airlines, Alaska Pacific University, GCI, ExxonMobil, Aleutian Pribilof Island Community Development Association, Iceland Naturally, Beacon Media + Marketing, Alaska Seafood, Alaska Journal of Commerce and Toast of the Town.