North x North Festival
The best of the Arctic fests returns to the Anchorage Museum April 26-29, 2018
April 09, 2018
ANCHORAGE, ALASKA – April 9, 2018 – The second-annual North x North (NxN) Festival is organized by Northerners with a collective vision of sustainability, livability and wellbeing and creativity for the North.
NxN captures the spirit of Alaska and the Arctic by meeting local and Circumpolar challenges and opportunities with Northern innovation and resilience. It offers participants the opportunity to build upon a rich history while envisioning a promising future. Innovators from across Alaska, the U.S. and the Arctic gather to collaborate and celebrate the North through knowledge, design, film, music, food, literature, art, governance and business.
Come curious. Leave inspired.
Many NxN discussions focus on 17 Sustainable Development Goals set by the United Nations. They cover a broad range of social and economic development issues, including poverty, hunger, health, education, climate change, gender equality, water, sanitation, energy, environment and social justice.
“Through compelling conversations and inspired thinkers, we look for ways to Alaskan-ize, indigenize, and otherwise adapt these goals to Northern and Arctic places, people and environments,” says Julie Decker, Anchorage Museum director and CEO.
The program includes:
- TED-style presentations – solution and best practice sharing from across the Arctic
- Arctic Film Festival – films from around the North, focused on innovation and resilience
- Arctic Street FoodsResident DJs and
- Arctic Dance Party
- Art and design talks by Northerners
- Innovation Teams – four teams formed to address eight challenges; co-creation of solutions and opportunities
- “Fishbowl” work sessions – solution creation for innovation challenges
- Youth Innovation Challenge – rapid prototyping, pitching and awards
- Curated Conversations – focused on features of sustainable development
- Sustainable Arctic Award reception – presented for lifetime achievement
Get started early with special pre-festival programming
Register now for one or both sessions:
- Resilience Summit, Wednesday, April 25. Exchange of ideas and innovations about Alaska’s environmental, economic and social challenges organized and hosted by Alaska Pacific University, Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium, Municipality of Anchorage, The Nature Conservancy, Alaska Center, and Anchorage Museum, and
- Anchorage Arctic Research Day, Thursday, April 26. Information sharing, networking and roundtable discussions organized by the U.S. Arctic Research Consortium of the United States, the University of Alaska Anchorage, the Anchorage Museum and the Institute of the North.
To kick-off the NxN Festival, Anchorage Museum admission is free from 6 to 9 p.m. Thursday, April 26. Museum admission is also free from 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday, April 28. Enjoy half-price admission for Polar Nights from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday, April 27. Visit https://nxnfestival.com for the complete schedule. Tickets available at https://nxnfestival.com/nxn-festival-registration/. Some NxN activities are included with Anchorage Museum admission.
The North x North Festival is organized by the Institute of the North and the Anchorage Museum. Sponsors include the Atwood Foundation, Guggenheim, Alaska Airlines, Alaska Pacific University, GCI, ExxonMobil, Aleutian Pribilof Island Community Development Association, Iceland Naturally, Beacon Media + Marketing, Alaska Seafood, Alaska Journal of Commerce and Toast of the Town.