- Where can I find instructions for purchasing a membership online?
You can find instructions here. You can also call the Membership Coordinator at 929-9228 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- How long does my membership last?
Your membership is good for 12 months from the date of purchase. If you renew your membership early, the new membership starts at the end of your current membership cycle.
- Can I upgrade my membership before it expires?
Your new membership benefits kick-in immediately upon upgrading. You will receive updated membership cards and any additional mailed membership benefits (guest passes and Muse gift card, if applicable) within 2 weeks.
- How many membership cards do I get?
One printed membership card is administered per membership; this card has the primary member’s name. All adults on the membership are eligible for a digital membership card; provide a unique email address for each adult on membership for digital membership card.
- How do I use my digital membership card?
• Your digital membership card will be sent to the email address on your member record. Only members with a unique email address (not a shared email address) will receive a digital membership card.
• Download the digital card into your Passbook or Wallet apps
• Digital membership card displays your name, membership level, renewal date, and reciprocity programs
• Approach the front desk with your digital membership card ready when you check in, or scan your digital membership card in the Fast Pass member check-in line.
- Can I order cards for more of the adults in my household?
Yes, you may order cards during the membership sale for $5 per card. One complementary membership card is offered per household.
- What do I do if I lose my membership card?
You may request a membership card at the front desk (907-929-9263). Replacement cards cost $5 per card, and your new card will be mailed within 2 weeks of your request.
- When should I receive my membership cards?
You should receive your membership cards within 2 weeks of purchase. During our busiest times (winter and during special exhibits), it may take up to 4 weeks. If you have not received your membership cards and it has been over a month, please email email@example.com.
- Do I need my membership card to visit?
We encourage you to use your membership card (digital or printed) at the front desk or Fast Pass member check-in line. You may also use your ID for check-in. Your membership card will be needed for your member discount at Muse Restaurant or the Museum Store.
- What are my reciprocal museum membership benefits? How do I find a museum?
All current members receive free general admission to 350+ science museums around the world through the Association of Science-Technology Centers Passport Program. Family Plus, Museum Insider, Museum Insider Family, and VIP level members also receive free general admission and museum store discounts to 250+ North American museums through the Reciprocal Organization of Associated Museums.
- Do I need my membership card to receive free admission at other museums?
You must present your current Anchorage Museum membership card to receive free admission at ASTC science centers and ROAM museums. If you do not have your card, you will need to pay admission.
- Do the adults on a family membership need to be married?
The adults on any membership level can have any relationship, as long as they live in the same household. Examples include roommates, mother and adult daughter, life partners, husband and wife, and adult brothers.
- Can I share my membership card with people outside of my household (friends, the grandparents, or other family)?
No, membership cards are not transferable. Adults must be listed on the membership in order to use membership benefits. Giving membership as a gift is an excellent way to share the museum with your friends and family. Purchase a gift membership here.
- My membership level comes with a free guest. How does this work?
Certain membership levels (Family Plus, Museum Insider, Museum Insider Family, and VIP) allow you to bring a guest to the museum, free of admission. The free guest must accompany at least one member. There are no limitations as to who you can bring as a guest. However, your guest does not receive membership benefits. For example, Family Plus members cannot bring a guest to Spark!Morning, and Museum Insider members cannot bring a guest to Museum artist meet-ups.
- Can another adult that is not on our membership bring our children to the museum?
Your children are still covered by your membership when you are not present. The adult that brings your child may be covered by your membership, depending on your membership level. Family Plus, Museum Insider, Museum Insider Family, and VIP levels include a free guest (which can be a caregiver).
If your membership is Basic Family or Basic Individual make sure that the caregiver is aware that the membership benefits do not extend to the caregiver, and regular admission rates will still apply. The caregiver will need to present your membership card and explain that only the children are on the membership. If caregivers frequently take your children to the museum, you may consider giving them gift memberships or upgrading to a level that includes a caregiver.
- How do I purchase a gift membership?
You may purchase a gift membership online, at the front desk (907-929-9263), or by calling the membership office (907-929-9228). You will need your gift recipient’s names, address, phone number, and e-mail to complete the transaction.
- How far in advance should I buy a gift membership?
Gift memberships take about 2 weeks to process during normal times of the year, but during the holidays it takes much longer due to increased volume. We try our best to process memberships in a timely manner. Ensuring that your gift recipient’s contact information is correct will ensure safe delivery of their membership.
Your gift recipient’s membership is valid upon purchase, and the recipient may check in by presenting their ID at the front desk if they have not received their membership card yet. If you, the gift giver, purchase the membership online, you will receive an emailed certificate that you may print out for your gift recipient to use at their first check-in. If you purchase the gift membership in person, you may request a gift membership certificate.
- Is a gift membership delivered to the gift recipient?
The gift membership and the renewal letter will be sent to the gift recipient by default. You can choose who the gift membership and renewal letter is sent to by selecting the option on the online form, or by requesting this option during your transaction at the Front Desk.
Please note that writing the gift giver’s address in the gift recipient’s contact information may result in returned or lost mail. If you have specific requests for your gift membership, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are children admitted free to the museum?
Children 2 and younger are free. With your membership (excluding Museum Insider and Basic Individual), children 3-17 that live in your household receive free general admission. Additional rates may apply for premium exhibitions. Regular admission rates can be found here.
- Do I have to pay the regular fee for premium exhibitions?
Whenever possible, we offer free premium exhibition admission to members. For some premium exhibitions, an extra ticket is required. Call the front desk at (907) 929-9263 for pricing of current exhibits.
- How many children are included in my family membership?
All of the children (17 years and younger) in your household receive general admission benefits with your Basic Family, Family Plus, Museum Insider Family, and VIP memberships. You may also bring your grandchildren (under 17 years) with you to the museum if you are a Basic Family, Family Plus, Museum Insider Family, or VIP member. Other children that visit you will be subject to regular admission rates.
Children are not included on Basic Individual or Museum Insider level memberships.
- Can my child have a membership card?
You may request a membership card for your child. If you request this on a membership renewal form, make sure to indicate that (s)he is a youth. Youth cards cost $5. Please note that youth must be 15 to explore the museum alone. Youth younger than 15 must be accompanied by a caregiver. A youth card allows the front desk staff to look up the youth’s address for check-in, but does not extend any membership benefits to caregivers that are not on the membership.
- How old do I need to be to qualify for the Senior Individual or Senior Family membership?
One member on the membership must be 65 years or older.
- How will I find out about member exclusive events?
Information about special events is included in your monthly member e-mail. You can also find these events on our event calendar in the “Members Only” section. Please make sure that we have your current email and mailing address on file to ensure that you receive your exclusive invitations. Email email@example.com to update your contact information.
- Can I use my membership card for a school visit/field trip?
Your membership may not be used for School Group Experiences. Membership dues do not cover the cost of the Education staff, presentations, and tours included with the field trips. Find more information about School Group pricing here.
- Do members receive special parking privileges?
The parking garage below the Anchorage Museum is a municipal garage that is limited to staff during the week, but can be a convenient place to park for museum patrons on weekends. There are handicapped spots available for the public all week. More information about parking and pricing can be found here.
- Does my membership include admission to the Discovery Center?
Yes, admission to the Discovery Center is included with your membership. Tickets for planetarium shows are discounted for members. Family Plus, Museum Insider Family, and VIP level members also receive 4 free Thomas Planetarium tickets with their membership.
- I don’t see the membership level I bought last year.
Improved membership levels were introduced in September 2017. You can learn about the great new membership offerings here. Call membership at 929-9228 with any questions.
- How are my membership dues used at the Anchorage Museum?
Anchorage Museum members contribute about $450,000 annually through their membership dues, which makes up about 5% of the Museum’s annual revenue. For more financial and statistical information about the Anchorage Museum, please review our most recent annual Gratitude Report. Type “Gratitude Report” into the webpage’s search box.
- How can I make a donation to the museum?
Gifts at every level make a difference. Admissions, municipal support, and other earned revenue covers only 80% of annual operations and programs. Contributions like yours make up the balance. Make a gift online here, or contact our annual giving manager at (907) 929-9226.
- How can I include the museum in my will or estate plan?
Making a planned gift to the Anchorage Museum can be an effective way to meet your financial goals and save on taxes, while helping ensure quality art, history, culture and science programs and exhibitions for the benefit Alaskans far into the future. For more information, please contact the Donor Relations Manager (907) 929-9213.
- Do you sell or lend out my contact information?
- What if I do not want to receive e-mails, mail, or solicitations?
If you would like to unsubscribe from the museum e-newsletter, you may use the link at the bottom of the e-newsletter to unsubscribe. If you do not want to receive mail or solicitations, please call 929-9228 (membership) or 929-9226 (annual giving) so that we can make the appropriate adjustments to your record.
- Is my membership tax deductible?
Your membership is fully tax deductible minus the fair market value of any benefits. Benefits include planetarium show tickets ($4 value per show), planetarium previews ($4 value per ticket), and MUSE Restaurant vouchers ($12 value per voucher). Our tax ID number is 92-6009317. Your Membership Thank You receipt has the tax deductible amount written at the bottom of the letter.
- Are memberships refundable?
Memberships are nonrefundable.
- Oh no! I paid for my membership twice!
In this circumstance, we extend your membership by another year. You will receive new membership cards with the further-out date
- Can my non-profit purchase a membership for our beneficiaries?
Organizations are welcome to purchase gift memberships for their employees or beneficiaries. Gift memberships are limited to one household address each. Organizations may not purchase household memberships for shared employee, business, or beneficiary use.
The Anchorage Museum offers a Non-Profit Organization Pass Program. This allows your non-profit to purchase tickets at a special non-profit rate in bulk, and distribute at your convenience. For more information on non-profit discounts, please contact the Community Partnerships and Outreach Director at (907) 929-9227.
For information on Free Days during which your beneficiaries can visit for free, please visit our online calendar
- My membership is still active, but I haven’t renewed at the new membership levels. Does this affect my membership benefits?
• You may still use your membership for free admission. If you received planetarium credits, guest passes, or a Muse gift card, you may still use these benefits.
• Several new membership levels allow you to bring a guest with your membership. You may upgrade at any time for unlimited free admission for your guest.
• 40 Below members will continue to be invited to the Museum Insider artist meet-ups and behind the scenes tours until the end of their renewal date.
• Contributing, Benefactor, and Sponsor level members will continue to be invited to VIP tours with curators until their renewal date.
• The new membership level “VIP” gives access to the 7th Ave Entrance and the Patron’s Lounge. Benefactor and Sponsor level members are welcome to use these benefits.
• If you are interested in upgrading your membership to take advantage of any of the new membership benefits, call membership at 929-9228.
- Can I still use membership guest passes from previous years of membership?
Single use guest passes never expire.
- Can I still use Muse gift certificates and gift cards from previous years of membership?
If there is no expiration date printed on your certificate, then it is still valid in Muse Restaurant. Muse gift cards do not expire.
- Can I still use Planetarium credits from previous years of membership?
Planetarium credits expire at the end of your membership term.
For information on Free Days during which your beneficiaries can visit for free, please visit our online calendar